According to the Department of Justice, the child support payments that are overdue for over two years and in or over the amount of $10,000 is a violation, is a criminal felony and convicted offenders can face fines and up to two years in prison. Child support is a court order, a non-custodial parent who is not making these child support payments will be found in contempt of court. You will be informed of the contempt charge in writing and ordered to appear in court. If the parent then does not appear in court, a bench warrant for the parents arrest will be issued.

In a private adoption you don’t need to appear in court if you don’t want to. It’s confidential. Everything can be handled by mail and a few signatures or if you ignore the notice to terminate parental rights, your parental rights will be terminated automatically by the attorney or agency. There is no financial cost to you in adoption.

Return to Q&A